Concert Review: Jrock Tamashii 2023

Went to jrock.my's #jrocktamashii over the weekend, and boy did I enjoy it.

It was my first time attending this so I was a bit nervous (also because I went alone), but I had so much fun hanging out with fellow Jrock fans and anime/comics/game (ACG) weebs that whatever anxiety I felt just flew out of the window. Even though I was older than most of the people in the audience, I didn't feel out of place at all.



The Basics

Event details:

  • Title: Jrock Tamashii
  • Date: 25th February 2023 (Saturday)
  • Time: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
  • Venue: REXKL
  • Admission (Revised): RM 55 (Presale) , RM 75 (Door) - general admission/free standing
  • About: Jrock Tamashii is a live concert fully dedicated to celebrating all things Anisong (Anime music), VGM (video game music) and J-rock/pop, happening on 25th Feb, 4pm at REXKL. Featuring a lineup of bands which may be no stranger to all who are followers of Malaysia's ACG (Anime, Comics & Games) scene, and RFBXO; an ensemble of classical and modern instruments bringing to you a full scale Anime soundtracks and an "Attack on Titan OST tribute"!
  • Lineup: 
    • Harmonia ACG
    • BRIGHTBURN
    • Yo Zi
    • Rina-Hime Band
    • Grand Endeavour
    • RFBXO (featuring: yonlynn, Rina-Hime, Leena, Panggong Quartet, Potato Queen, Fate Feather, Afir, binyun, Alissa and Delphine)
  • FB/IG: @jrock.my

Source: Peatix

The Experience


It was obvious how much blood, sweat, and tears went into the show, so major props to everyone involved in organising it!

I had a lot of fun watching each act, so here's a summary of my thoughts in chronological order of performance. Note: I tried to take photos and videos of each performer, but I somehow messed up the recording of the first half of the show (sorry for the low resolution).


🖤

@grandendeavour 

This event was Grand Endeavour's debut to perform outside of competitions. They seem young but they have a very nice sound, and the lead is so cute! I hope to watch them perform again.

20230225_163747


@yozimusic

Yo Zi  was next. She performed a few crowd favorites and even debuted an original song made during the COVID-19 pandemic.  I like her style.

20230225_173908


@acgharmonia

Harmonia ACG  is a group I've been following since 2019, because I saw them perform at Comic Fiesta. Their voices are hauntingly good. Definitely one of my favorite music groups in Malaysia and deserves more eyeballs (or eardrums? haha) if you're into gothic/epic music.

20230225_180823


@panggongquartet 

At first I was a bit surprised when Panggong Quartet came to the stage (batik-clad dudes with wind instruments?, did they just come from a wedding...?), but their rendition of anime OSTs were so good and fun to watch! The audience happily sang the lyrics to the instrumental music they played, so it was a pretty cute collaborative performance heheh.

20230225_201746


@rfbxo

RFB Orchestra  played Attack of Titans OSTs for about half an hour, and even though I don't watch AoT, this performance took my breath away and gave me a series of goosebumps. I can't imagine how much planning it took to organise everyone for practice with over 20 musicians (with different instruments) performing, but they made the medley work! Well done @r.f.b and all the performers!

20230225_210041


@rinaahime

Rina-Hime  plays Jpop, Jrock, and general anime songs, and she does it well. I was pleasantly surprised that she played a Baby Metal number, and she performed it so cutely too!

20230225_213933


@brightburntheband

BRIGHTBURN  is a band I've been following only recently - I discovered them at Animangaki 2022, and I've been a fan since then. They don't just play well, they rock hard! Their energy on stage is just electric and you know you're in for a good time when they perform :)

20230225_223414

20230225_224700
BRIGHTBURN even dragged in hosts @ggtwins.ash @ggtwins.iqi for the final song heheh


Here's a compilation of some vids I took at the show:


Standing for hours and with a one-hour break in between wasn't easy for these old bones, but I had a lot of fun so the pain was worth it lol. I had a wonderful time listening to talented local musicians performing great songs, so I'm really glad I went. The show was definitely worth the ticket price.

That said, in all honesty, I was a bit surprised by the setlist. Personally, I feel like it could have been curated/coordinated better to avoid repeated songs (since most of the songs are covers after all). Also, although I did go to the event expecting a lot of anime OSTs of the rock variety, I was a bit uh confused halfway through because I went fully prepared for a full-on rock show hahah. The non-jrock songs weren't bad by any means - the performances were amazing! They just weren't what I expected because of the event title.

Since it's my first time attending this event I thought this was how the event's always been run since 2011, but I was told after the show that it was mainly jrock music in previous years. This made me a bit sad (because it's not easy for me to find my fellow jrock crowd), but in some ways I guess I understand the organisers needing to be more flexible.

Regardless, I still enjoyed myself and I look forward to next year's show (with hope that there will be jrock hits by the legends as well 🙏). 


20230225_184802
Repping for the 3 series lol.




Last Updated: 2023-03-01

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Kemensah River (2020, January)

Tokyo (2016, October)