Film Review: Oto-Na-Ri


Oto-Na-Ri revolves around 2 neighbors who only 'communicate' with one another through their connecting paper-thin wall. One is a photographer and the other is a floral designer, both passionate about (and en route to) pursuing their dreams.

The Basics

  • Movie: Romantic Prelude / Oto-na-ri / おと・な・り
  • Director: Naoto Kumazawa
  • Release Date: May 16, 2009
  • Runtime: 119 min.
  • Genre: Drama / Romance / Youth
  • Language: Japanese
  • Country: Japan
Source: Asianwiki


My Review

A pithy review doesn't do the movie justice, imo. 

I almost wish I could rewatch it and do a thorough literary analysis about the depth and portrayals of its characters, the framing of scenes, the metaphors and symbolisms, the music/sound effects, the pace, the colors, the writing. It feels like I just watched a recorded version of a 2-hour play performed on an elaborate (real-world) stage. 


It's beautiful in its plainness and hits like a mild slow-brew, leaving me with a lasting, satisfying aftertaste. The ending was quite unexpected for me, but apt considering the flow of the story.

The last time I watched a show with Okada Junichi in it was years ago when I was in my late teens, so watching him now as an adult feels surreal yet sentimental (e.g. seeing the OG flip phones lol). 

Okada Junichi, a timeless heartthrob

In the last film I saw him in (Tokyo Tower), I remember being so moved by the softness of his acting. His performance in this movie is well done too. I feel like I want to watch his other work now haha.

Anyhow, I'm glad I watched this on Netflix tonight, partly because it reminds me of my student days when I had the time to bingewatch tonnes of Japanese shows (so much that I began dreaming in Japanese with English subtitles lol).


I enjoy Japanese stories because they usually take (give?) time for viewers to appreciate things that many movies usually don't bother including, e.g. soft murmurs, little whispers, subtle gestures or facial expressions, imperfect humming, pauses in conversations etc. I like that these don't feel like they're just icing on the cake — they are meaningful and serve a purpose (aesthetic, narrative, whatever) and shows the multidimensionality of the human experience. It's refreshing. 

Watching this makes me wanna go to Japan so bad. But in the meantime, I guess this'll do.  💛

Do you like watching Japanese movies/tv shows (live action and anime)? 

Any recommendations?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Kemensah River (2020, January)

Tokyo (2016, October)