Musings: Grabcar stories

Just some Grab (an e-hailing car service) stories:

1. I had to wait

The other day, the Grab I requested was stuck in traffic, which meant that what was supposed to be a 10-minute ride turned into a half-hour wait.

When the driver finally arrived at the pickup point, he apologised profusely for the delay, all the while calling himself 'Uncle'. He looks like he's probably just a few years older than me though.

I was about to correct him when I remembered how male Grab drivers tend to get chatty/intrusive when you are friendly to them, so I just shrugged it off.

Does he genuinely think I'm his daughter's age or is this a new strategy to attract customers or something? 😅


2. He had to wait

Had to Grab to the office today. I accidentally left something behind while walking towards the car, so I apologised profusely to the driver - a man who looks like he's around my father's age - for making him wait. 

Him: "Tak perlu, lady boss jangan cakap sorry" (No need, lady bosses shouldn't apologise)

Me, surprised: "Tapi saya salah, so saya cakap sorry la" (I'm wrong though, which is why I say sorry) 

Him: "Tak boleh, lady boss yang tolong saya cari makan, bagi saya kerja. Tak perlu minta maaf" (You cannot (say sorry), you are helping me make money, giving me work. You don't need to apologise)

I'm used to being coded as a woman by strangers, but being called 'boss' doesn't sit well with me. But I wasn't sure how to respond, so I just stayed quiet.

During the ride, he kept checking if we were going in he right direction (we were on a route I wasn't too familiar with though so I wasn't too helpful), and he kept thanking me for guiding him.

At first I thought he was just being chivalrous/polite, but as someone who was overly generous with sorrys and thank yous in the past (even to those that don't deserve it), I wonder if he's okay.

I really hope he gets good customers that treat him well.

---

Do you have any stories on public transport that makes you think/feel more than you think you would?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Kemensah River (2020, January)

Tokyo (2016, October)