Webtoon Review: Devil Number 4


I've gushed about this Webtoon series last year while it was ongoing, and after months of not reading Webtoons, I learnt today that the series is complete so I read till the end and decided to write a review on it.


The Basics

  • Title: Devil Number 4 (Akmawa gyeyak-yeonae)
  • Platform: Webtoon / Naver
  • Creator: jangjin, woombeee
  • Genre: Supernatural
  • Episodes: English 120, Korean 121
  • Status: Complete
  • Synopsis: When a down-on-her-luck student runs out of money – and hope – it’s time for the devil to make his entrance and give her an offer she can’t refuse. But this devil has problems of his own. He’s a cog in Satan’s corporate ladder, who’s quickly losing credibility because that same desperate girl isn’t ready to part with her soul willingly. Now, she’s working at his coffee shop while he tries to convince her that she can have it all. And the cost? Merely her mortal soul...
Source: Fandom wiki


My Review


For starters, this series is a spiritual rollercoaster for me, thoughtprovoking and emotional.

What do we as humans truly know/think/believe about destiny, divinity, and our other lives? What is the truth behind the existence of heavenly and hellish bodies and the ones who rule all? Can supernatural beings experience 'humanly' sensations and emotions?

Do they want to?
... do WE want them to?

To put it simply, this is one of the best Webtoon series I've ever read.

This story portrays its characters as otherworldly as its premise, and I love how it casually explores the concepts of reincarnation, gender norms, and existentialism, all of which I find fascinating.

Almost every episode made me cry (with sadness, happiness, even relief), and the ending leaves me wondering about life and death and everything in between and beyond. It makes me feel like I learnt new things about myself.

I highly recommend this series.

My ratings out of 10:
- 🎭 Plot 10
- 🎥 Storytelling 10
- 🎨 Art 9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Kemensah River (2020, January)

Tokyo (2016, October)