Concert Review: ONE OK ROCK and Ed Sheeran in Ed Sheeran DIVIDE Tour!

I've been listening to ONE OK ROCK for a few years now, and I found out around March 2019 that they would be coming to perform in KL as the opening act for Ed Sheeran.

Naturally, it was a no-brainer. Missing their performance is not an option. I had to go.

And so I did, with my sister and two of my Japanese-language teachers :)




13 April 2019 - what a date to remember.
  

ONE OK ROCK


Apparently, this wasn't their first performance in Malaysia. 

They've performed here back in 2013, but I didn't know of them at the time. I discovered them via Spotify when they just released an English song called "I was King" in 2016 under record label Fueled by Ramen (housing/housed Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and Twenty One Pilots).

Long story short, I was hooked.


My review

My mind was blown and my heart shattered into a million pieces when they ended their last song.

That's it. That's the review.

Just kidding, heheh.


But in all honesty, their performance blew me away and I was left with so many emotions - mainly anticipation for their next show. Their stage energy was electrifying and addictive.

I didn't get to take a lot of photos because the stage was too far away. So here's a shot by my friend Tuck who was in the thick of the crowd, closer to the stage:


Even though I was seated up in the stands and couldn't see the band too clearly (I watched the projected screen), the music was just *chefkiss* Taka's vocals against the band's instruments is something I really hope to watch again.  Also, props to Taka because it was so clear that his vocals and even enunciation of English words have improved tremendously.

Personally, I prefer their older, 'louder' albums. Their more current music is a bit milder, more pop. Which isn't bad per se, but it's slightly less my cup of tea.

Regardless, watching their opening show made me forget it wasn't even their concert tbh. It felt like it truly was their concert. They went All Out.

The setlist:

  1. Push Back - Eye Of The Storm 
  2. Deeper Deeper - Jinsei Kakete Boku Wa
  3. Clock Strike - Jinsei Kakete Boku Wa
  4. Head High -  Eye Of The Storm
  5. Stand Out Fit In - Eye Of The Storm
  6. The Beginning - Jinsei Kakete Boku Wa
  7. Mighty Long Fall - 35xxxv
  8. Wasted Nights -  Eye Of The Storm

To get a taste of the show:




Ed Sheeran

My concert companions (especially my teachers) had a fantastic time at the concert because they love both ONE OK ROCK and Ed Sheeran, so this was a dream combo show for them.

However, I have to be honest... I did not come to the concert for Ed Sheeran.

Don't get me wrong - he's not terrible by any means! In fact, I genuinely think he's an amazing entertainer and I do like his songs (and even memorised some of them, tbqh).

But yeah, I did not buy the ticket and attend the show for him.

Did I enjoy his performance though? You bet!


I think it's impossible not to enjoy his performance because of his showmanship. He has the vibe of a captivating street performer - you just can't look away! 

Watching him and singing along to his songs during the concert was lovely. I had a good time.


Overall

The event was worth every cent of the ticket price (of which I bought 2, one for my sister) because of ONE OK ROCK alone, so Ed Sheeran was a nice bonus.

Made friends with some ONE OK ROCK fans there!




Having said that, the logistics of the event was just... terrible. Besides the strange stage setup and seein the many, many empty seats at the venue, after parting ways with my teachers at the end of the concert, my sister and I basically got swept away by the crowd while trying to exit.

The event ended too close to the station closing time (considering how crowded it was) and we ended up having to wait a long time (while walking around) for a grabcar/taxi to pick us up. It took us hours to get back.

That said though, 10/10 I would watch ONE OK ROCK again.







Last Updated: 2023-02-03

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Tokyo (2016, October)

Kemensah River (2020, January)