Manga Review: Kengai Princess


I keep being proven wrong that shoujo is mainly for the consumption of teenagegirls, because this is one (of many!) that is not only relatable but even enjoyable for even a grown-up like me. 

I found the title while rummaging through MangaRock categories, as this was under the 'unlikely couples' category (or something like that) - and I'm so glad I did!



The Basics

  • Title: Kengai Princess /  圏外プリンセス
  • Type: Manga
  • Chapters: 45
  • Status: Finished
  • Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Shoujo, Slice of Life
  • Serialization: Margaret
  • Authors: Aida, Natsumi (Story & Art)
  • Synopsis: Meguro Mito has always been made fun of for her chubby appearance. Her sole happiness is discussing her favorite role-play game with her two best friends. One day, while she is being bullied, a handsome classmate saves her. Is this the beginning of her first love?
Source: MyAnimeList


My Review

What piqued my interest about this title to begin with was that the blurb stated that the main character likes otome (i.e. dating simulation game). After reading the first few pages however, I knew I'd be hooked because of how honest the storytelling is. 

Besides the clear development of the main character throughout the story, I also especially loved seeing the relationship dynamics between her and those around her — her friends, her crushes, her peers, her parents, and even her otome guys.

I finished the manga in less than 24 hours - reading it when I woke up, on the commute to/from work, during lunch time, and even during small breaks at work. It's quite hard to put down because the main character reminds me a lot of myself back in my school days of skyrocketing hormones and nonexistent self-esteem. 😅

In short, let's just say this manga made me cry and laugh out loud a good number of times today, and I'm so thankful for its existence ☺ 

It's such a wholesome, heartwarming read from start to end 💕


My ratings out of 10:
- 🎭 Plot 8
- 🎥 Storytelling 9
- 🎨 Art 8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Tokyo (2016, October)

Kemensah River (2020, January)