Manga Review: Satoko & Nada


Satoko to Nada was recommended to me by my friend Nana who is also an avid manga reader, so I was not only intrigued by this series, I was genuinely excited to read it.

This was the first manga I've ever read with a hijabi as one of its main characters. I coudn't wait to read it as soon as I found it online. It basically revolves around two housemates in America: a Japanese girl and a Muslim Arab girl who became fast friends despite having very little in common.


The Basics

  • Title: Satoko to Nada / サトコとナダ
  • Type: Manga
  • Volumes: 4
  • Status: Finished
  • Published: Jan 24, 2017 to Nov 30, 2018
  • Genres: Comedy, Slice of Life, 4koma
  • Authors: Yupechika (Story & Art)
  • Synopsis: Satoko is a Japanese woman on her way to attend college in America. Upon arrival, she meets her new roommate in an apartment building—and is surprised to come face to face with a thoroughly clothed woman! The two quickly become friends and Satoko learns that the woman is a Saudi Arabian named Nada. While Nada devoutly follows the religious practices of Islam, she has her own quirks—particularly a striking fashion sense and a mindful approach to life. As the Islamic faith differs from the traditions and nature of Japanese life, there is a lot for Satoko to learn and realize from her life with Nada. But it is never too much trouble: Nada is pleasant company, and the two enjoy their time together broadening each other's horizons.
Source: MyAnimeList

My Review

This is one of the most heartwarming mangas I have ever read and I wish it was based on a true story 😭 

Tbh, because one of the main characters is a hijabi, I was worried that she'd be portrayed in a stereotypical way, but I was pleasantly surprised by how unantagonistic the manga is towards hot topics like aurat/covering up. In fact if I'm being completely honest, I totally ship the two main characters together - they're clearly perfecy for each other as a couple.

Anyhoo, based on a little bit of Googling I found out that the mangaka actually consulted a Japanese woman who converted to Islam (who also happens to be a translator for rock lyrics in Japanese??) so that's cool 🧕🏻 

Thank you so much Nana for sharing this 😘

Ratings out of 10:
- 🎭 Plot 10
- 🎥 Storytelling 10
- 🎨 Art 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Tokyo (2016, October)

Kyoto (2016, October)