Travel Info: Money Matters

In this post, I explain about what is perhaps the most crucial part about travelling for me - the funds.

Here are the top 5 things I think about when travelling:
  1. Travel budget
  2. Following a package tour vs using my own itinerary
  3. Currency and conversion rates
  4. Internet connection
  5. Accommodation

Travel budgeting resources


Before I go on any trip, I usually hunt for info-heavy travel blogs/sites like Tripadvisor to find financial pro-tips (e.g. how much to budget when you're there) so that I can plan ahead like this list of 20 useful sites.

I also use travel apps like Google Maps and Triposo as well as budgeting apps like AndroMoney (which allows keeping a record of expenses in different currencies). These make my trip planning process a lot more efficient.


Package tour vs own itinerary?


Though there are pros and cons to both, personally, nothing beats making and following your own itinerary. The struggle (and stress!) of always having to rush, be super punctual, and staying on the bus/in a queue for touristy places when you're travelling in a tour group is very, very real.

Having said that, some people (especially older people, from what I gather) may prefer to have their itineraries and tickets booked by agents/third parties so that everything is planned and confirmed prior to their arrival. I've also got some friends who say they prefer it because it'll be easier to be among people who speak the same language / practice the same faith. Whatever the reason, make sure you read the fine lines of what is (and isn't) being offered in the package tours!


Currency conversion


Some of the things I learnt from experience or secondhand:

Cash:

  • Convert money at least 3 working days before arriving at the destination country, or more than a week before if you're travelling to a country that is a bit harder to find the currency for. They might not have any of the currency on hand and may have to order some specifically for you.

  • The best place for buying/selling currency (at least in Malaysia) is bureau de changes, especially from less-touristy places. Banks and airports generally do not give you the best exchange rates.

  • Buying/selling rates differ between different money exchange service providers, even in the same vicinity! You can compare online (e.g. using Google, xe.com) or offline (e.g. literally asking around, asking them by phone/in person).

  • Before cashing out at an ATM in a foreign country, find out the withdrawal fee.

  • Use a simplified currency conversion formula. What I normally do is find out the conversion rate, and round it up, e.g. for US Dollars to Malaysian Ringgit, multiply USD by 5 (e.g. $1.00 is approx. RM5.00). This makes it easier to estimate the price of what you're buying without scrambling for a calculator.

Cards/cashless:

  • Consider using international cards like BigPay and Wise if suitable for your needs.

  • For larger purchases, consider using credit card if you have one, and insist on using the destination country's currency if you do.

Getting connected


I prefer having internet connection on me whenever I travel because it's easier to navigate (i.e. use maps, check commuting options) and also to keep in touch with people back home, and I've learnt that there are a number of ways to do this when I'm outside the country, i.e.:


Free Internet

Public wifi (usually my last resort)

  • Pros: Usually available at places you'll most likely be at e.g. airports, major train stations, hotels, and tourist spots.
  • Cons: You have to stay there to use it; connection might not be stable/secure; limited connectivity.

Paid Internet

Option 1: Destination country's SIM card

  • Pros: Stable and reliable connection while on the go.
  • Cons: Usually the most expensive option; registration might be confusing/a bit of a hassle; may need pre-planning; requires some technical knowledge; might get the wrong SIM card (and difficult to get refund).

Option 2: Destination country's portable internet (rental)

  • Pros: Generally cheaper than a SIM card; connection can be shared if travelling in a group.
    In some countries (e.g. Japan) you can pick up and drop off the device when you arrive at the airport, and pre-book the device before you even set foot in Japan. 

  • Cons: Registration can be confusing; losing the device will be costly and complicated; not available in every country.

Option 3: Origin country's own data plan ('roaming' feature)

  • Pros: SIM card in phone not affected - no hassle of changing / accidentally losing it; there are different data plans to suit your travel needs; for some countries, this may be the cheapest option.
  • Cons: Data connection entirely depends on the quality/reliability of roaming partner company's internet services (which may not have the best data coverage); this may not be available/cheap in some countries.

Option 4: Destination country's internet cafes

  • Pros: Usually offers other services such as printing and photocopying, so it's very useful if you need to work with documents; they're usually open 24 hours; internet connection usually stable and reliable.
  • Cons: Rates for internet usage will vary greatly between internet cafes; some cafes may be a bit dodgy or operate it quiet areas, so maybe a bit dangerous if you're using it at night.

Accommodation


So far, I've stayed at the following places when I travel: backpacker hostels, hotels, bed-and-breakfastsAirBnBand friends/relatives' houses. They've all got their pros and cons, which I may elaborate on later when I have the time.

I've yet to try Couchsurfing, so I'm pretty curious to find out how I'll experience using the service.

I also have not yet slept at the airport or stations for overnight travel, because when I buy plane tickets (especially if I'm travelling alone!), I try to make sure that my arrival is is not too late (before 8pm). For future reference though, I'll park some tips for sleeping in airports here after a friend of mine recommended it,



Last Updated: 2023-02-24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kemensah River (2020, January)

Tokyo (2016, October)