New York (2011, November)

During autumn of 2011, I visited New York with my family and some family friends for about a week. Although this was a few years after 9/11, and the number of stories I hear about Islamophobia has decreased by then, I was pretty anxious; were there really fewer cases?, did prejudice/discrimination against Muslims still persist but merely change form?, were there just fewer reports?

It didn't help that getting the tourist visa to enter USA itself was a daunting experience, so I was expecting a rollercoaster ride before, during, and after the trip.



Going to the US embassy was pretty nerve-wrecking, but being treated like terrorist suspects aside, the rest of our stay in the States was actually pretty good. We didn't have any fixed schedule aside from visiting one relative who lived in the city, so these are some of the random photos I took from the trip.


Citywalk

Central Park


My parents love natural elements, so of course we had to go to Central Park (or parts of it, rather, because it is HUGEMONGOUS). My dad was especially excited because even though it was technically autumn, some parts of the park were still lush and green.

It was lovely seeing the flora and fauna here.

A chipmunk or tree shrew? Either way, what a feisty lil furball.

Lookit all of them flowerssss

A busker playing his violin

A few hours inside the park, and we only covered a small part of it!

Autumn vibes <3

Beautiful ruins. Seems like a gorgeous spot for wedding graduation and photography imo.



Brooklyn Bridge


View of Brooklyn Bridge, from the side.

IMG_3238
Brooklyn Bridge was quite a pleasant walk across, especially on a cool sunny day.

An installation artwork on Brooklyn Bridge, in remembrance of murder victims. :(


After we crossed the bridge, we decided to take the Water Taxi to tour around the city on water.

Waiting to get on board.



Walking Around the City


Besides going to Chinatown and Little Italy, we also went to Korean War Veterans' Memorial and Wall Street.


Feeding pigeons because why not.

 
L: Lady Liberty walking near the Korean War Veterans' memorial, 
R: Charging Bull, at Wall Street (this was before Fearless Girl was placed)



Museum & Galleries


I like visiting art galleries and cultural/science museums when I travel, so on one of the freer days, I headed out on my own for my own little mini trip. I didn't have much time though, so I had to be super selective.

After I bought some gifts/souvenirs (including 2 sets of dice for my boyfriend at the time, and this was quite a hunt in itself hehe!), I went narrowed down my options to Metropolitan Museum of Arts ("The Met") and also a small 9/11 tribute gallery near ground zero.

The sight of prehistoric bones never fails to amaze me.
[ MET Museum: 1000 Fifth Avenue, NY 10028 ]

On the way back to my accomodation from on of these solo trips, I took the wrong train platform/route and somehow ended up at Le Bronx, so that was pretty funny.


New York at Night


You have to experience walking downtown in the nighttime. The city that never sleeps lives up to its name, because there is always something happened at all hours of the day.

Signs upon signs upon siiiiiigns

 
Pretty lights, but gotta be careful of your belongings in these kinds of touristy locations.

Some of the billboards were interactive and got people dancing. So cute, haha.

View from our family friends' apartment.



New Jersey


We even joined a day tourgroup to New Jersey. After the tourguide showed us various NY landmarks, we headed out to NJ (which I later found out, specifically to a premium outlet mall). I bought my first (fake) leather jacket there and I felt SO BADASS lel.

 

Spotted a filming session!

Driving out of NYC

Shopping time. Much cheap.

I think schoolkids did this for July 4th?

Drive back from NJ. #nofilter


Food


There are plenty of halal places to eat in this city, and a lot of road stalls are either halal or Muslim-friendly (and cheap!). As long as you have some cash on you, it's hard to imagine running out of options of what to eat  if you only eat halal here.

Street Food


Street food on of the corners - pretzelsssss

Snacks omnomnom

Finding grubs after dark

Meals


Had a very filling Indian dinner the night we arrived. Wonderful place serving yummy food!
Curry in a Hurry119 Lexington Ave Frnt 1, NY 10016 ]

Huge thosai! The staff were huffy towards us (even ignored us at some point) though, and the food was quite pricey too. I don't remember the name of this vegetarian place, but not worth recommending tbh.

And what kind of trip to the States would it be without pizza <3
[ Forgot the name of this place! Sorry! ]

Dessert


Yummy cupcakes after a long day of walking
Magnolia Bakery: 200 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10023, USA ]



Ice cream while waiting to get on the Water Taxi :D
Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory:  97 Commercial St, Brooklyn, NY 11222 ]



Getting Here/Around


Amtrak (Intercity Train)


We spent a few days in Boston, Massachusetts before we took a train to New York. Amtrak is apparently cheaper than taking the flight (around USD50/trip) since we were travelling as a large group. I enjoyed the 4 hour-ish ride, with the coastal and also city views.



Public Transportation


Aside from walking, we travelled around town by buses or subway.

Perhaps I'm too much of a Malaysian-urban/suburban kid to get used to NYC commute, but everything was so... zippy. It made me wonder how sickly or disabled people get around to do their daily business. While the public transport system is generally quite accessible, everyone seems like they're in a rush all the time with a coffee in hand and their cellphone on the other - texting, talking, surfing, whatever. It got pretty overwhelming for me tbh. The subway system is pretty complex but it's pretty easy to navigate through though!

Also, do check out and support the buskers performing in the subway stations! They're amazing!

YAZ Band playing mainly R&B tunes in one of the stations

Water Taxi


We took a water taxi and toured around NY on water, and it was lovely experience. If you have some extra cash, I recommend trying it at least once because the waterscape is beautiful!

Also because this is where the ride ended. What a view!



In summary:


I had a good time in New York, although it was a bit overwhelming sometimes. I don't know if I'd go again any time soon, but maybe one day I'll change my mind. Central Park, NY theatres, art galleries, museums, and NY pizza await :D

Expenses

  • Amtrak = about USD50/trip/pax (Boston -> New York)
  • Daytrip to New Jersey = about USD40/trip/pax
  • Accommodation/Commute = paid for
  • Food = can't remember lol
  • Souvenirs/Gifts = approx. USD100
Total expenses here: + USD200 (no accom, commute, or daily expenses rn)


So yeah.


I'll update this again later after I properly go through my travel journal, but for now this is all I have to share. Thanks for reading!

Some of the images in this post were taken by my sister.

See: What else I've written about USA.


Last Updated: 2019-03-23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Info: Money Matters

Travel Info: Travelling While Muslim

Kemensah River (2020, January)